Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Making the Avion Coach Mine


When the first weekend of ownership came, I was off from work. I still had the little single axle 5th wheel in my possession and I had to transfer all of it's contents to the "new" Avion. It was fun equipping the Avion and readying it for travel. My Avion had a working furnace that my 5th wheel didn't have.
My first trip with the Avion was to Hershey, PA to the fall 1982 antique car show. I had friends that were going, but they left ahead of me. I towed through a terrible night-time thunderstorm. I pulled off I-81 near Roanoke, VA into the rest area. I took a nap and upon waking, the rain was still pouring down. I towed on through the night. I arrived at Hershey to a sunny, cool, damp morning. I paid my parking fees and got set up. It was great to have all the comforts of home in a neat compact Avion trailer. I had running water, propane refrigeration, heated water, and propane heat. The Avion had a Glen-Aire wall furnace with a separate fan blower. The furnace could be operated as a radiant heater. When boon-docking, this was preferable. I needed to conserve the battery for lights and for operating the water pump.

Traveling back to NC with my friends, both of which were in motor homes, we communicated by CB radio. I spent my first night in a rest area on the way back home. The Avion met my expectations and exceeded them in handling, gas mileage, and ease of towing. I was pleased, knowing I had made a good solid investment an an older trailer coach.

No comments:

Post a Comment